Tuesday, July 16, 2013

July Sixteenth

Today would have been my mom's 64th birthday. She passed away in 2009 about three weeks after her 60th. The first couple years following her death, I found myself doing special things around the time of her birthday.

In 2010, Roy and I were in Malibu, CA for my BFF's wedding. Her anniversary is tomorrow:

So pretty

Liz & Steve - 07.17.10


In 2011, we went white water rafting, my first time, at Ohiopyle State park:

07.16.11 - Scary but exhilarating!

Youghiogheny River


After going rafting, I told myself that I should do something adventurous every July to celebrate and commemorate my mom's birthday and life. She died too young and it is a reminder that life is too short to not live life to the fullest.

So to continue the tradition, last year we were invited to a wedding to be held in mid-July in Michigan. It was for Roy's cousin's daughter and instead of flying out, we hit the road.  We watched the first full season of The Sopranos on the way up and back.

Sam & Aaron - 07.14.12

Luna Pier, MI - Lake Erie

Tigers vs. Angels - The Tigers went on to win the World Series!

This year, we don't have anything in particular planned but I am taking my first figure skating test on Thursday so I'm thinking that counts, right?  Four years ago, I would have never in a million years imagined that I would be doing loop jumps and camel spins and would be competing in an actual U.S. Figure Skating Sectionals event for synchronized skating. When I was 9, I dreamed of being a figure skater and I have the scar on my jaw to prove it (attempting triple axels in your living room is a bad idea)! So to celebrate my mom this year, I'm living out a dream and I'm going to skate and be the best skater I can be.

I wish she was here to be a part of my life but in a way she is more involved in it now than she has ever been before.

I love you, Ummah, and happy birthday!

UPDATE 07/18/13: I passed! More on the results in a separate post. Yay!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...