Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Skating Bully

I went to a group lesson last night. I've been trying to avoid the group lessons since there are so many kids flying around every which way and of course I happened to collide with one last night. He fell and started crying. This is the second time this happened and I think it was the same kid! He is about 4 or 5 years old, in full hockey gear and his helmet went right into my left thigh.  I was going backwards and I saw him coming about 20 feet away so I started to slow down. I thought he'd go either left or right of me since he was going forward so I stayed in a straight line. I don't even know if he saw me because he just ran right into me, full speed. In hindsight, I should have moved left or right but I was afraid I'd run into him if I chose the wrong way. I guess he was too young to maneuver that fast and/or hit the brakes so I should have moved. I felt so bad! So I think I'll skip the group lessons for awhile because I really don't want to be known as the lady who makes the little kids cry.
 
I worked on my spins again and they are getting a lot better. Centering is still an issue most times but I feel like my timing and body position are improving. Here's a video of my sit spin which comes and goes like everything else. I need to work on getting my right arm and shoulder down. As you can see it flies up too high as I go into the spin. And I need to get my booty lower.
 
 
I love skating season and the Winter Olympics are only a few months away. I've been watching the ISU Grand Prix events on NBC the last couple Sundays. You can find a list of the TV schedule here. This weekend we'll be heading down to DC for the Capitol Critique.  Jessica and the Team Reflections Open Juvenile team will be skating for judges' critiques. It's not a competition but a good practice run before their first competition in Mid-December.
 
 

1 comment:

Jules said...

Nice spin! Keep at it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...