Monday, April 22, 2013

Etsy Ring Holder Knock Off

After I got engaged back in March, I was looking for a place to put my ring when I was at home. I found this lovely ring holder on Etsy:


I decided to make this myself since I wasn't too crazy about any of the frame styles being offered plus they were priced higher than I was willing spend. I finally got around to it this past weekend and here's how it turned out:


It's small but I think it turned out pretty nice! It has a mid-century look to it which I'm loving. It was so easy to make, I'll have to make them for my friends.


  • Frame from Michael's = $3.99
  • Pearlized Pins from Michael's (100/pk)  = $3.99
  • Streetwise Laminated NJ State Map from Barnes & Noble = $6.95
  • Disposable Facial Cloth (on hand)
  • Scissors
  • Wire Snips
  • Pencil
  • Large Post it note
  • Measuring tape
Here's how to make it:
  1. First take the frame backing out and trace it on the post it sheet, or any piece of paper.
  2. Cut out the square (or other shape, depending on the frame).
  3. Use the tape measure to center the dot for the city within the frame (or you could do it off center like the Etsy piece), make sure there's enough room for the ring to hang down.
  4. Trace the window on the map where you need to cut.
  5. Cut out the map and trim accordingly to fit inside the frame.
  6. Cut out squares of the facial cloth or use flat cotton pads and place them between the map and the frame backing. I used three layers - just enough so there's some tension when the backing is secured.
  7. My pins were long so I had to trim them down otherwise it would stick out of the frame about an inch. Wire snips are perfect for doing this - just make sure to hold both ends so it doesn't go flying in your face when you snip it. I'm not sure how I would have trimmed them without Roy's help. I wouldn't have had this tool on hand. I guess try to get shorter pins if you don't have wire snips.
  8. Pin the city where you got engaged and hang your ring on it - Done!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...